I found this organization, not sure if I should mention it here. But it fights for the most essential necessity in life : water. They provide water in third world countries. I actually found out about it while watching online TV, so I'm not like a diehard fanatic or anything (I met one of those last night).
Every year they have a huge event to raise money for the charity, and it has attracted a lot of celebrities and inappropriately wealthy people. I thought I was lucky to be apart of it, but the atmosphere didn't feel as if we were doing charity work, it was a lot of flashy items, videos and lights so these not-so celebrities would shell out their money. I think the originality of the organization is great, but I think that the people who are giving only do so to make themselves look good. I'd rather actually do something, help someone, rather than throw my money around and brag about how good I am.
Needless to say, the event was lame. Luckily I found some people who shared in my joy of making fun of people's outfits, which I can attest that when you have money, it doesn't always mean you can buy style! I worked at a donation table, I could have chosen anywhere since I was on reserve and floating around, but they didn't make an effort to put me anywhere, so I felt useless.
People kept putting their drinks and trash on our donation table! It was so infuriating. This one woman set her drink down, didn't say anything like, I'll be back, or whatever and I was on a roll so I scooped it up and threw it in the trash.
Five minutes later she came back and said "I set my drink down right here." I acted as if I didn't know what she meant, hadn't seen it. I looked at the other two volunteers, wondering if they would sell me out. They looked just as dumbfounded as I felt. But I quickly switched that and said "Oh, there are people going around picking up trash. They must have thought your drink was trash."
She was mad. "That is bullshit!" she said "I know one of you three threw it out!"
I wasn't going to argue with her and put the other volunteers in an awkward place.
I said "Oh, well would you like me to get you another drink?" In my most forced sweet but sour sarcastic tone.
She was a bit thrown on the sudden change, but said she wanted a vodka tonic. I went to get her one, bitching the whole way.
When I gave the new drink to her, I did so making sure she knew it was a big inconvenience to me. Then I whipped out our sign, shoved it in her face, and said in a sickly sweet way "Would you like to DONATE?!"
She scoffed and walked away with her bitch friend in toe. Oooooh, that was the whole night summed up. Now I am torn. I enjoy this charity and would love to continue with it because it is doing so much good in third world countries. Although, I really don't think I can face these artificial people. They're putting themselves out there to look good, not do good. That's not what I'm about. And unfortunately, I probably won't continue with this charity. And it's too bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment